Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Once a Decade Family Reunion

My family doesn't do reunions very often.  Every once in awhile a family member or two will come to town, but it's been 12 years since the whole family got together.  I've decided we need to do this more often because it's just a heck of a good time.

Cousins and aunts started trickling in on Thursday.  By Friday night, everyone was in town.  We had a big spaghetti dinner at my Mom's and had a great time reuniting.  John got to meet the family too.  He fit in perfectly.  It was pretty low key.  The following two days were not low key, but fantastic all the same.

Saturday started with the majority of the family participating in The Color Run up in Omaha.  It was a blast and we all ended up nice and colorful.




After the run, we went out for lunch.  Those of us who had run went in all of our colorful dust and those who didn't run went looking like normal people.  The restaurant staff didn't mind us colorful folk.  The other patrons gave us a lot of weird looks though.  A LOT of weird looks.  Luckily, we're used to people looking at us like we're nuts.  Well, I'm used to it.  I think the rest of the family is too.

We ate ourselves silly and then went home to clean up before splitting up for various movies and/or the blues bar before heading home and passing out.  Well, I went home and finished baking graduation and birthday cakes before crashing.




Sunday was high school graduation day for one cousin as well as family potluck day out at my Uncle Tony's house.  It was an amazing day.  There were so many people, so much food, and so much laughing.  There was a trampoline that kept the kids entertained.  Some of the adults even had some fun on it.  Oh, and the cakes were devoured and compliments were made which completely cured my feelings of cake baking inadequacy.


 
After the potluck, some of the family migrated from my Uncle's house to my driveway.  A nice variety of "yo mama" jokes were told, junk food was eaten, stomachs and faces began hurting from tons of laughter, and it was perfect.



Monday, the out of towners went home and Grace and I went to John's family reunion.  It was equally as good as my family reunion, but much calmer and just a bit smaller.  I'm so glad that Grace and I were included in his family's reunion.  They are very nice and welcoming people and I really enjoy spending time with them.

All in all, it was a completely exhausting and incredible weekend.  I think we need to get together more often.  Every single one of us is so different and yet, we all get along so well.  My family accepted John as quickly as his family accepted me.  We were all as disorganized as we could be, which is how it's always been, but no one seemed to care a whole lot even when we didn't have eating utensils.  I love my family.  




No comments:

Post a Comment