Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Am I what?!?!

Today, I had the pleasure of having a lovely man with an indistinguishable accent call the office.  This isn't necessarily unusual, but the conversation was.  Here it is.  I won't use quotation marks except for the lines I remember exactly.  Of course, there's really only one really important line and I'm pretty sure you all can figure it out on your own.

Me:  "Thank you for calling _____________.  This is Adrienne.  How may I help you?"
Him:  "Tell me how I can help you."
Me:  "What do you need?"
Him:  No, you tell me how I can help you.
Me:  I'm sorry, I'll need you to tell me what you need so that I can find someone to help you.
Him:  "Are you fucking stupid?"
Me:  "I'm sorry.  What was that?"  (I was sure I had misheard him)
Him:  "Are you fucking stupid?"
Me:  "You've reached the switchboard for a company that helps people with their aircraft repairs.  No, I am not fucking stupid."

And then I hung up.  I've had many people speak to me with a tone of voice that clearly infers that they think I'm a moron.  Never have I had anyone be so blunt.  My initial reaction to these people is always to get really mad.  This time, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry or both.  I went with laugh.

I'm so glad this day is just about over.  I'll go home and get to work on clearing out and packing up my basement.  You know, because that's so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god...I don't know if I could keep it as professional as you did!

    ReplyDelete